Monday, November 1, 2010

Step One

So I had a bit of a really intense artistic moment tonight.

Recently I've been thinking very hard about my calarts portfolio--it even keeps me up at night. I know my work needs to be more expressive, it really needs to say something about who I am and what I'm trying to say. So today I told myself I would go in and try it out. To encourage myself I brought along my colored pastels, determined to break them out and use them.
I finally did at the second to last pose I stayed for. I was drawing, and I really liked it, but I knew it was missing something. Here at Sheridan in extra life for fundies students stay very conservative. They draw in conte usually on newsprint, tending to aim for either realistic or animator style figure drawing. There's little experimentation. When I reached for the colors I could feel my heart pounding very fast. As I started using them I could feel the eyes next to me glancing over at the bright yellow and orange all over my page. It felt embarrassing, but also exhilarating. I wanted to laugh out loud, I hadn't used color in drawing in a really long time, probably not since before I turned in my calarts portfolio. It felt very nice. And while this piece above is not anywhere near what I want to give to calarts, its a step in the direction. Step one. :) Tomorrow will be step two, and the next day will be step 3, up until I turn that sucker in.

Anyway, here's the rest of the stuff from today. I was feeling very loose.








Last weeks extra life







Nanowrimo began today! I haven't written a word yet, so I need to get started! Woo!

No comments:

Post a Comment