Monday, March 28, 2011

What Makes a Great Teacher

Above is my most recent project from drawing systems. I honestly don't think it's super stellar. It's not bad, but I could have taken it so much further. I still got perfect marks on it. I guess you could say my drawing systems teacher likes me a lot. That's ok, I like her just as much back.
My drawing systems teacher, Sayeh, is incredible. She has so much devotion to helping her students. And I don't mean just in class. Sure, she'll spend anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes with us in class to talk about our work and what we should be doing individually. That's great, she really takes the time to make sure we understand the assignment, we are doing it correctly, and we are gaining something from it by pushing us. But she also cares a lot about our applications to other programs. This is a teacher who set up not just one but several sessions with animation and illustration students to take a look at our work and give us feedback. Did she have to do that? Not at all. But she wants to see the students that work hard succeed, so she did anyways. She gives us lectures not only about perspective and our projects, but about life and the wisdom she has gained from it. She passes on her knowledge, and I think she is very wise, constantly reminding us that no matter how talented we may be, we have to put the work into it to succeed, and that sometimes we still fail, and that's ok. I think it's rare to see a teacher with so much passion in a program like this, or in a college at all. I am really grateful I've had her as a teacher for even just this semester. I wish more teachers could be as dedicated as her.




No comments:

Post a Comment