Monday, June 8, 2009

ASLD

So I went to asld today. I have to say the worst part is the drive. It took me an hour and twenty minutes to get down there, and boy do I hate driving on the interstate. Sooo stressful. Bleh. Fortunately it only took me 40 minutes to get back. But considering I was only there for 2.5 hours...ouch. Half of it's driving.
Anyways, it was a really cool, big, old building and the floor creaked with every step. I was right. I was the youngest person there by at least 10 years and it was obvious in my art. Most of them were painting. One guy even had a laptop and a tablet with him and was drawing on that. I never even thought of that before. Drawing from life on your computer...
Anyway no one really talked to me, but everyone seemed to know each other. There were a couple elderly people, some middle aged people, and then two people who looked to be about in their 20s...Some of their stuff was really cool. I intend on learning from watching them in the back.
Drawing a nude was really cool and I finally got to ease my frustration by being able to drawing boobs as they naturally hang. Plus, the model had some meat on her bones, which was really nice too, because it moved around and helped display force and weight. So, let me show you what I did.
I started out pretty normal. I tried a few gestures to begin with, just so I got it right, and then sketched it out in pencil. And then I just used my chalk to shade and such. The gesture got so compressed in this, I am a little disappointed, because I tried to exagerrate A LOT. As you can see in this picture, my hands and faces suck a lot. I don't know what it is, I just can't get it right.


After being normal for an hour, I kind of finished, so I decided to try drawing with my right hand. These are the results. Kinda different, kinda similar. It's definitely looser, but the head died. And I cheated on that part too! The arm on the left got kind weird too. It was too dark so I put in some white and yea. The hands are a pitiful mess, along with the face, and the lopsided boobs, but all in all pretty good for my right hand.

After both of of those I decided my faces SUCK and so I just tried working on that...and failed. I don't understand eyes. AT ALL. I was also pretty far away so it wasn't easy to see what was going on up there


After that, I just left with half an hour to go. I figured I'd had enough of it for now.

I am so frustrated. I just don't understand how on earth I can change my lines. I mean, it's a pretty simple concept, right? You just put lines down on paper in a particular pattern. So why is it so hard to branch out of this and do something differently??

1 comment:

  1. Meri,

    The images in this post are (i think) the best on your blog. I do pictures, so seeing some unique sketches is very refreshing! Although you say faces are not your strong point, the face/head in this post is great. It may not be exactly accurate, but it shouldn't be. You are an artist. Art can be different from reality, and often I think it should be.

    You say you're having trouble with your lines. Instead of shying away from what you do now, perhaps you should try to incorporate your "bad" habit into your style. These sketches look great and I look forward to seeing more on this blog (which I am now following)

    ReplyDelete