Friday, June 12, 2009

Lots of Drawing!

I have been quite busy with my new job, friends, and with art. So I guess thats a good thing? I am pretty tired though, as well as broke. In debt actually. My next paycheck, well it's awhile away I guess. And I have things to pay for. Blah.
So on thursday, I had my little art shindig out back. It turned out pretty interesting. David volunteered to model, which I thought was odd, considering I hadn't seen or spoken to him in, oh, 3 years. But I can't turn down a man model. It's too precious. So I worked out a time for him to come.
Molly came, Lissa did not, Daidre came with Kyle (which was also kind of weird) and then David brought along Shawn, who I hadn't seen in over a year. And yea....I won't elaborate on that.

Anyway, here is some of the stuff I did


So I decided I wanted to play with color for once. My pictures are always so bland. It's always just black and white or graphite. So I broke out the construction paper and pastels and just had a little warm up with my cat...who wouldn't stand still, hence the bad anatomy. But in't purty?


So...turned out Shawn and David were actually terrible models. Shawn I don't blame. He just sort of showed up with David. But David! He should have been prepared. Oh well. I made them take their shirts off. Maybe that was awkward for them. But the point here is I got carried away with the pretty colors and stopped focusing on anything else.


I started over, as you can see, and it turned out a lot better, but not that much. Their faces are actually somewhat recognizable but eh. Not good anatomy. They kept moving dammit!

I feel like this one got a lot better, because kyle told me I should use fewer colors on each guy and I also was like "oh yea...body mass. shading. that stuff" and tried to stop outlining and start drawing. It helped a lot, although shawns feet got kind of weird because he was wearing shoes (damn shoes, they get me every time) and I tried starting davids legs but it was just too awkward because he got cut off by the desk and I didn't understand how it worked. So yea. He just gets to float in this one.
I got them to sit still but letting them read seventeen magazine....


As you can see we pulled the couch out and Kyle finally joined in (actually he was in the last one too I just was too lazy to add him as his entire body would have been foreshortened) This one was actually really fun to do. And not just because the electric blue burned my eyes out. I was starting to get the hang of it, although it's still too outliney and not enough insidey. Hey, they put their clothes back on what can I say. It's too tempting to work with lines when drawing clothes. They don't have volume!

This morning I woke up before 7. BEFORE 7. Because I wanted to go to the art students league and do a short poses class. But no one bothered to tell me they were closed for a week for their stupid art market thing. So I show up and had to park on a different street because theirs is closed and I just think "oh they are setting up no big deal" and I walk in and the guy is like "yea we are closed." but he was nice and offered to let me use one of the rooms to do a still life.
So I went in to do that because hey, I drove the hour and a half it takes to get down there might as well make some use out of it when I was like "HEY! I COULD GO TO THE ZOO!" So I did.
And it was awkward because I was wearing this long, blue, flowy dress which I didn't want to walk around the zoo in so I had to change into pants in the parking lot. Haha. Yea.
Anyway, so I walked around the zoo for a good 5 hours today. Amazingly, I only barely got sunburnt, so I am pretty proud of my sun evasion skills. I actually saw a couple other people there as well and felt all weird because they were all older than me and probably more skilled at the whole thing. But I got 41 sketches which makes me happy, and pretty much filled half a sketchbook, which is very satisfying (I am trying to fill 4 over the summer) since I haven't been sketchbooking a whole lot. I picked about half to post here (because face it, some were pretty bad)

I started at the mountain goats. There was one with smaller horns that I did on the page before, but my mom thought it was a horse and also the more goaty looking one showed up and well, these were just a lot better. It was all sort of warm up though, except maybe the one at the bottom.

After goats I went to the primates. And you know, everyone always says monkeys are just SOOO cute. Hell no. They are CREEPY. Bleh. But they had very human like qualities, so I thought it would be good to get some studies in. Even though they never sat still.

This was the most bitchin bear ever. He was just sittin in a tree with his head resting on a higher branch. It reminded me of Bubba. I really like this picture, and I attracted a huge crowd of little kids and their compliments (I love when little kids watch you draw, because they always think you are good, no matter what)
I like to move it move it....Lemurs. Nuff said. Oh, and they sit like they are meditating. It's awesome.
This guy sat verrrry still for me, and I wasn't the only one drawing him. I wish I had fit his butt on my paper because it would have just been that much cooler.
This guy was eating very visciously while I was doing this, but he was just too blubbery and fat to pass up the chance to not try and draw him.
I don't remember what this is. He was in the same house as the rhino and hippo. Hmmm...
Hippo in the water! His eyes are supposed to be closed. Instead they look like they are rolling into the back of his head. Otherwise I like this one.
Yay camels!
This is an ostrich. It kept moving on me! So it was mostly drawn from memory. And people got in my way a lot too.
After the ostriches, I had seen pretty much the entire zoo (wow, I can't believe I made it through the whole thing in one go) so I got a really expensive soda ($2.50, no straw, no top, no refills) and went people watching. This guy had a frog on his hat. It was weird. He worked there.
A thick lady from the back. By the way, all of the people I only got a glimpse of, and then made the rest up out of memory. Thats why none of it is very good. People at the zoo are on the MOVE.
This is a compilation of like 8 kids leaning over the railing. None of them stayed there very long, but there was always at least 1.
A girl on her dads shoulders. I literally saw this for like, a second.
I was sitting in front of the elephants while people watching, so I also drew one of the elephants. Yay!

This one is one of my favorites. While her legs are placed really wrong (what can I say I had one look at her) I like how I placed all her, er, fat. It actually really resembles what I can remember. She also had an old lady fro. No joke.
It reminds me of lilo and stich, where lilo takes the pictures of all the fat tourists. Thats what I felt like.

Last one of the day. Just a woman holding her daughter while talking to one of the staff.




So, I will definitely be going to zoo a few more times this summer for some mega life drawing fun! Talk about a lot of drawing. Oh well, it was fun. I did a lot of the cats, but none of them were any good. I would love to get some tigers or leopards. And maybe use some charcoal, or pastels. Wee!
It also made me realize how many things I do on my own. I shop, I snowboard and ski, I go to the zoo, I see movies, I do hobbies...all on my own. Kind of weird. I am just a very solitary person. Thats probably why I fail at relationships.
And I will eventually make it to the asl for some short poses...eventually. Gas is so much money though X.X

No comments:

Post a Comment